Help homeless animals find hope and new families with this important position at a high-profile animal charity on Massachusetts' South Shore.
Hours: Full time. Essential and Exempt position.
Reports to: Director of Programs & Operations
Oversees: All adoptions and animal intakes and processing.
Schedule: Tuesdays through Saturdays 10am to 6:30 pm
Job description summary:
This full time, exempt and essential position is primarily responsible for the coordination, scheduling and oversight of all animal intakes and adoptions. This position requires a great deal of interpersonal skills, animal handling, and ability to be independently motivated and efficient. This position includes general animal care and cleaning duties and leading the animal care shifts as needed.
Duties & responsibilities:
· Promotes good public relations and customer service
· Carry out all of these duties and responsibilities with a positive attitude
· Responds to all inquiries about animal intakes
· Responds to all inquiries about animal adoptions
· Screens all calls with the Director of Operations (for the first year) relating to intake of animals prior to accepting them
· Provides all vaccines and medical necessities for each animal upon intake
· Enters all animals into Pet Point software system immediately upon coming into the shelter; books animals out immediately upon exiting the shelter
· Maintains a google document about adoptable animals for PR purposes
· Takes animal photos immediately upon intake and upon adoption
· Ensures all information about each animal’s behavior and medical needs are provided to staff and volunteers to ensure safety and success through the shelter until adoption
· Ensures quality service and compassion is delivered to individuals surrendering a pet
· Enters all animals who are available for adoption into Petfinder and any/all on-line adoption tools
· Ensures all intake and adoption paperwork is thoroughly filled out which includes but is not limited to behavior paperwork, medical paperwork and contractual paperwork
· Ensures all documents needed for retention are stored in an organized manner
· Maintains an Open Adoption philosophy and practice consistent with SAS
· Reviews adoption applications
· Prepares animals to go home to their adoptive home including paperwork and medical supplies needed
· Ensures all paperwork is signed that needs to be and all information at time of adoption is provided to adopter
· Assists with situations requiring immediate problem solving
· Initially handles client grievances pertaining to intakes and adoptions but will include Director of Operations and Programs as needed such as when situations are progressing
· Informs the Director of Programs and Operations of developments that may affect SAS or the department including departmental progress, client concerns, and personnel issues
· Actively promotes SAS’s mission, services, programs and events
· Treats animals humanely and with respect.
· Represents SAS in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
· Answers telephones and directs clients appropriately
· Completes data entry, monthly reports, and detailed reports as requested
· Maintains Adoption Desk document files and current information for distribution
· Keeps work space and public areas clean and orderly
· Works closely with the Volunteer Program Manager to recruit front desk/adoption volunteers; helps provides training and guidance to assigned volunteers
· Participates on committees and meetings as assigned/needed
· Develops, implements, and schedules training curriculum for Adoption Program personnel and their advancement.
· Ensures injury and incident reports are thoroughly filled out when needed and reported to director
· Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment
· Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
· Provide direct animal care for all animals when needed
· Help to enforce policies and procedures and communicate problems
· Assist Scituate Animal Control Officer or staff members with the intake and/or release of animals.
· Communicate updates/important information
· Contain and monitor sick animals to prevent outbreaks and cross contamination of illnesses
· Regularly check the medical records book and address the medical needs of animals
· Places an emphasis on a high standard of care for all animals but to ensure their physical well-being and emotional well being
· Operate consistent with the labor laws of MA and the laws of the MA Dept. of Agriculture and all other local, state and federal laws
· Performs any and all other shelter operational duties as needed
· Any other duties requested by director
· Comply with all current shelter policies
· Comply with legal requirements for handling controlled substances & medications
Requirements & Preferences:
· High school diploma required
· At least one year experience working hands-on with animals required
· At least one year of supervisory experience
· Must have a positive attitude
· Must take initiative
Policies & Procedures
- Comply with all state, local and federal laws
· Comply with all current shelter policies, procedures and philosophies including but not limited to the Culture Statement that applies to all volunteers and staff
To apply for this position please e-mail your cover letter and resume.
The Scituate Animal Shelter is an equal opportunity organization. Volunteers and employees will be chosen without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical/mental disability or marital status in accordance with the state and federal law and because we believe it is the right thing to do.